KATO 106-088, N Scale UP Union Pacific City of Los Angeles 11-Car Passenger Set
Kato's Union Pacific “City of Los Angeles” new 2022 release with new car names and road numbers. The new car numbers in the set are as follows:
- Storage Mail #5653
- Baggage Dormitory #6002
- 44 Seat Coach #5428
- 44 Seat Coach #5440
- Dome Coach #7003
- Lounge #6200
- 10-6 Sleeper “Pacific Ocean”
- Dome Diner #8002
- 5 Double Bedroom Lounge “Boise”
- 11 Double Bedroom “Placid Lake”
- Dome Lounge Observation #9001
Passenger Car Features:
- Unique prototype specific toolings for eight of the cars
- The observation car is depicted in its pre-modified condition to proudly display its unique, illuminated, signboard.
- Each car is equipped with low flange wheels, KATO magnetic knuckle couplers and shock absorber construction for smooth and reliable operation
- Interior of cars can be lighted with optional installation of Kato LED Interior Lighting Kits: #11-211 & 11-212 (DCC Friendly)
The "City of Los Angeles" was one of the Union Pacific's "City of" trains, and a direct competitor to trains such as the California Zephyr and Santa Fe Super Chief. With many railroads in the 1950's vying for the attention of the travelling public, the Union Pacific spend 10 million dollars in 1954 to upgrade its passenger services, promoting its commitment to high quality passenger service as well as creating one of the most iconic trains of the golden age of american railroading.
One of the most iconic images of this train were its dome cars ("Domeliners"), which, like the California Zephyr, granted its passengers with an unparalleled view of the countryside as the train would make its trips between Chicago and Los Angeles.